March 15, 2018
This just in:
Our ABRSM representative just informed us that the Piano Scales and Arpeggios will NOT be changing in June. Just the exam pieces.
From the ABRSM website:
No change to scales
We've been considering making changes to the scales and arpeggios requirements and some of you may have been involved in this consultation.
Following extensive feedback from both expert consultants and piano teachers using our exams, we've decided to extend this fruitful period of consultative and developmental work and therefore won't publish new scale requirements for this syllabus.
We intend to publish new scales for the 2021 & 2022 syllabus and will give you as much notice as possible about any future changes.
Good to know.
The Associate Board (ABRSM) will be updating their piano syllabus next year.
- 2017-2018 pieces will be accepted in exams until May 2019
- New Scales and Arpeggios will be requiredin Jan 2019.
- Sight-reading and aural test requirements remain exactly the same as for the 2017 & 2018 syllabus.
Some key dates
- 7 June 2018: Publication of Piano syllabus 2019 & 2020
- 7 June 2018: Publication of Piano Exam Pieces (Grades 1–8), recordings (Grades 1–8) and Scale books (Grades 1–8)
- 1 January 2019: Piano syllabus 2019 & 2020 comes into effect
What will change?
- New exam pieces
- New scales and arpeggio requirements
We offer all our piano teachers a 15% discount for any pre-orders through Dots Music.